Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Husband the Hillbilly






So as all couples know, there are some revelations that come out in a relationship well after anything can be done about it. For me, it was the shocker that my husband really likes bluegrass music - the twangy-er, the better. Now as a pop music princess, this was not an easy thing to deal with. I mean, come on. Fiddles? Banjo? The washboard?! Once the initial horror and confusion wore off, there was only one thing for me to do: love and support my husband no matter how red my neck might get.


This last year, we had the opportunity to go to a few different venues that featured bluegrass music. In May, we went to the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle Festival and what do you know - I actually enjoyed myself! In July, we talked Scott and Kim into joining us for an evening of bluegrass at the Ford Amphitheatre. Although four hours of this particular genre got a tad old, we still had a great time. Also, I can't tell you how excited Mick was to find out that he could get bluegrass music 24 hours a day by just selecting a specific channel on our tv. There was even a time when we considered naming one of our children Banjo, but then we realized that we weren't cool enough to pull that off.


Although I never imagined myself saying this, I'm sure we'll be listening to twangy music for many years to come. Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: