Friday, February 22, 2008

Conspiracy Theory

*Disclaimer: Hormonal Pregnant Lady Rant

I'm convinced that phone companies have a diabolical plan when it comes to manufacturing. Every phone that I've owned has broken or literally fallen apart just a couple of months before my service contract is up. This is SO frustrating! This really puts a consumer in an unfortunate position. Either spend a fortune on a new phone without extending my contract (which in a month or two will be worthless because of starting a new service plan) or renew the contract for another year or two in order to get the better deal on the phone. Not a great situation either way.

So a couple years ago, Mick and I thought we got smart when we had to replace our phones. The kid at Radio Shack convinced us that for the bargain price of $55 per phone, we would be ensuring that if anything went wrong short of losing the phone, we would receive a replacement, in store, and free of charge and hassle. We had the opportunity to test it out months later when the screen on my phone broke and I couldn't access any numbers. The customer service rep on the 800 number gave us a hard time, so Mick and I charged into the store that we bought it in preparing to let them know that we would no longer be customers if they did not hold their end of the bargain. We were pleasantly surprised when the manager profusely apologized and replaced my phone with an upgraded one on the spot. We've spent the last year singing their praises instead.

Unfortunately, Mick's phone started acting up recently and when we returned to Radio Shack to get it replaced, we were met with more run around and told to call the 800 number. After some convincing, the customer service rep agreed to send us a new phone, free of charge, in ten days. Well, 15+ days later, we had not received it so Mick called and found out that they never followed through on it and would no longer offer us that deal.

To make matters more frustrating, my phone broke into two separate pieces this morning as the movers were packing us up. Now we have one phone that works well occasionally and one that does not work at all, and a company that will not replace them as they originally agreed to. Mick and I really believe in voting with our dollar, so we will no longer be consumers at Radio Shack. I find it disturbing that a place of business can promise one thing, take your money, and then change their mind. Whatever happened to integrity?

Needless to say, I may not have your phone number anymore, so please email it to me. I really want to be able to stay in touch. I can be reached on Mick's cell. If you don't have his number, shoot me an email and I'll give it to you.
caitlinanderson916@hotmail.com

1 comment:

Teacher Mary said...

Jerry & I dumped Verizon & took on Virgin mobile. We do not talk much so paying 10 cents per minute+$6.99We can add minutes on the phone or online. Not a big problem. They also offer a monthly plan with no annual contract. Check out virginmobile.com. Phones are a pain in the neck! I am so sorry that Radio Shack lacks integrity- that is a big problem in our world today! Lots of Love and Prayers!