Tuesday, August 19, 2008

And the count down begins...

Well, I almost can't believe it but we are 38 weeks today. Even though I know that most first babies aren't early, I can't help but feel a bit like a ticking time bomb that could go off at any moment. Our doctor's appointment last week got me excited as there were some definate signs that things are moving forward, however as it goes with babies, that's not a sure sign that labor is approaching.

Mick and I have been busily preparing all the things that are still unfinished. We've now got a nursery full of pre-washed baby clothes and linens, decorations that are hung and strollers that are put together and functioning. There is still plenty to do, though, as we've yet to pack a hospital bag, put the car seat in the car or sterilize the bottles and pacifiers. My mom had a brilliant idea about pre-cooking meals and freezing them, so that is my project for this week. I am also desperately trying to finish the parenting books I started and Mick is focused on us getting together a birth plan.

I'd say the emotions are a bit all over the place right now. One minute I am crawling out of my skin with anxious anticipation of meeting our son, and the next I am selfishly introverted, realizing that very shortly I will be unable to park it on the couch for hours and answer only to my own whims. All of that and this overwhelming sense of gratitude to God for what He has provided for our family. There is a scripture that jumped out at me from a baby book my grandma gave us. "I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." (1 Samuel 1:27) That is so true for us. We began this journey really unaware of how difficult it would be at times and how much we would need to rely on God throughout the process, but now being near the end of a healthy pregnancy, how can we not be incredibly moved by His grace, mercy and perfect timing?

We can't wait!

5 comments:

MMM X 2 said...

Bless you and Mick in the "countdown." Hey! Watch a movie on the couch while you can!

I have that scripture on Mailee's wall above her crib. What a blessing we receive, huh?!?

Tea said...

Wow, I love your thoughts here! It's a blessing to have friends like you.

A movie on the couch? Heck, watch a movie in the theater! Pronto! :) (But, heck, it ain't all that bad. Netflix makes life nice.)

-T

Christi and Abbey said...

That verse is perfect for you all. You look so pretty and I am so happy to see your texas shower pics. We are cheering for you from a far far!

Terri said...

Hey Caitlin and Mick!
Thanks for the post on my MySpace page and the link to your site. Caitlin, you look wonderful! Blessings to you all and a safe delivery and healthy baby Cash!
Love,
Terri and Mark

Teacher Mary said...

God has been truly good and faithful! Is He not just the best!
How can we not trust completely in Him no matter what comes our way!
What as awesome Scripture for all of you. Be sure to write it down for Cash to see when he is older!
It will be wonderful for him to know how much you wanted him!
Lots of Love and Prayers!