Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Putting Cash to Sleep

Many of the parenting books advise that at this age we should be letting Cash fall asleep on his own, by putting him in his crib "drowsy but awake" and leaving the room. Although I will say that Cash has, on a few rare occasions, done just that, for the most part that sentiment is great in theory. Here's a sampling of reality:

5:50 pm Cash yawns and fusses, signaling it's time for bed.
Diaper change. Fussing. PJs. Fussing. Begin rocking and reading Time For Bed. Increased fussing. Stop reading after page four.
Fan on. Music on. Lights off.
Swaddle right arm. Swaddle left arm. Re-swaddle right arm. Re-swaddle left arm while holding right arm.
Fuss. Fuss. Fuss.
Put Cash against shoulder and initiate simultaneous bounce-pat-shush sequence. Cash yawns...and fusses.

6:05pm Think, Maybe he'll be asleep by 6:15
Fussing decreases. Lower Cash in front of my body and initiate jiggle-dance-shush sequence. Fussing increases. Fussing decreases. Cash's eye close.

6:10pm Transfer Cash's weight from my body to my arms. Cash's eyes open and body stiffens. Fussing. Jiggle more intensely. Dang, this kid weighs a TON!

6:15pm First attempt to lower Cash to the crib. Fails. Repeat bounce-pat-shush sequence.

6:18pm Second attempt to lower Cash to the crib. WHAAAAAAAAAH! Repeat jiggle-shush sequence.

6:23pm Third attempt. Almost...almost...oh no!!! Mick relieves me.

6:25pm Think seriously about banging my head against the wall.

6:35pm I go in to relieve Mick. Cash is now straight-jacket-Houdini swaddled.

6:40pm I'm hunched over the crib. Cash is asleep. My hands are still underneath him. Left hand free. Right hand free. Sneak out the door.
Thank God that's over.

8:15pm Mick and I look at each other and say, "We miss Cash."

9:30pm Fussing

1 comment:

MMM X 2 said...

SOunds about right! I finally changed Mailee's "bedtime" music from instrumental lullabies to Van Morrison. Since I would be in there to hear the whole CD, it might as well be something I like.If she was asleep by the end of Crazy Love (song 6 or 7, I think) I had done a great job!