Wednesday, May 21, 2008

He has a name!

The whole naming process is a lot more difficult than it seems. Mick and I had "picked out" names before we were pregnant, but when the reality hit of how significant this will be for our son, those names went out the window. It's not only about what we like, but what seems right for this particular child. I mean this is how he will be referred to for his whole life. It is often the first thing most people will know about him. The weight of it all seemed daunting...that and the fact that Mick and I couldn't agree on anything!

But, alas, I was relieved to discover that we would not have to wait to name him until after he was born as I had feared. When I came back from California we began to toss this name around and discovered it met one very important criteria...we both liked it. Finally, we were getting somewhere! Then we began fishing it out to various people as a possibility. The reviews were quite comical at times. We could tell who didn't particularly care for it by the way they immediately began throwing out other names for consideration.

Now for the other important criteria - does this seem right for this child? To the best of our knowledge in what we are learning about our son, yes. However, Mick wants to reserve the right to change his mind in the event that when we see him, we decide that we were mistaken. I don't think it'll happen but you never know.

I've kept you in suspense long enough. Our son's name is Cash Michael Crawford. Cash means "maker of chests." While the meaning of this name is not that profound, I believe it's what our son brings to the name that is significant. He should define his name, not be defined by it. And, if he hates it, he can go by his middle name.

So we feel we've covered our bases on the name issue as best as we can. Now we just can't wait for him to get here! One final thought, in case you are wondering. We promise to not name future children Check, Credit or Debit.

6 comments:

Tea said...

He's got a name! Right on!

Any part of this a nod to the Man in Black himself?

Can't wait to see you two and little Cash!

-T

P.s. But I'm TOTALLY buying him a big ol' fist-sized bling-ring with faux-diamond and gold "CASH" on it! Sorry, the rapper reference is irresistable! Yep, Mick, I know it'll make you jealous. I can get you one too if you'd like. :)

MMM X 2 said...

Hey, any baby can be called the "maker of chests" for those of us entering pregnancy somewhat less endowed, so it fits perfectly (laugh out loud) and as for Tobias' reference, have no fear, had Mailee been a boy, we were thinking of the name Johnny Cash Minitello!!! We just liked the way it sounded!

So happy for you!

Teacher Mary said...

I really like the name and what it means! I love your comment at the end of the post about promising not to name other children check, credit or debit--very funny! I am glad you have decided but do reserve the right to change if it does not seem to suit him. Lots of Love and Prayers!

Salsome said...

I love the name!!! :o) I'm so happy for you guys!

salome

Lindiana Jones said...

Yay for a name! My husband was VERY disappointed that you did not choose his name (no amount of gentleness could conceal the fact that "Cash" is not "Amir"), but I think he will recover.

Christi and Abbey said...

I told Lindi today it could have been Cashmir.
So glad you shared the meaning. The first thing that comes to mind is that chests hold wonderful treasures...and we have THIS treasure in earthen vessels.
May Cash be a holder of the Lord's glory.
Love seeing the preparations and especially the cute letters you painted.